Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I received a letter of termination, it gave me 1 week

I received a letter...

I received a letter of termination, it gave me 1 week notice, since they gave me notice would this mean it was without cause?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Non union, salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Worked at company for 6 months, management position

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

It would appear that way, if you had not received any criticism or been placed on a PIP.

Have you inquired with the employer for a reason?

Hi LorenThis is the letter i received.We will no longer be needing your services at Innovative Displays, It is clear after the display of events, that there is a lack of interest, severe quality control, attention to detail which have become extremely costly to the business. We feel that this is not a good people/organizational fit, and we are both better to go our own directions. Your final date of employment will be March 19th, benefits will cease on this day as well. Final payment of paycheque, any vacation/personal days will be paid on the regular scheduled paydays. Any company properly, passwords and keys wil be required to be handed in.I have not reached out to my employer yet for more information.

It is not without cause, according to the letter.

It states: "....there is a lack of interest, severe quality control, attention to detail which have become extremely costly to the business..."

That would seem to be the cause for the termination.

They soften it at the end by saying it is just not a "good fit". So, take it at that.

There are worse things to be terminated for and it should not have too much effect on you in the future.

the week before i received this letter, I had issues with a client and my boss gave me "first" verbal warning, frustrated about complaints from client. but wasnt specific on the actual issues. this client was a very difficult person to dead with, a few days later I was critisized again. and had severse anxiety and asked to take a metal /personal day. which my manager granted,the day atfer that I was booked to take a vacation, which i am on now. during my vacation i received my letter of termination.

It sounds like the reason was just what they said. There was not a good organizational/cultural fit.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I would like to apply for unemployment insurance, but the options for reasons for termination seem very serious which do not match with the reasons I was terminated.

No, this is not really a reason for which you would lose eligibility. It is not something which would rise to the level of "gross misconduct".

Loren, Lawyer