Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What are my possible consequences for receiving unemployment…

Customer Question
What are my possible...

What are my possible consequences for receiving unemployment benefits and not reporting a pension distribution in Texas?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this unemployment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No not yet, maybe I should?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Explain :at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I previously retired from AT&T in 2010 and took my pension out and placed it all in IRA. I was a union member at AT&T. I have worked seasonal jobs since then and when layed off gotten unemployment and at times pension distribution at the same time.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you received a pension payment from the base period employer (the employer who laid you off) and also received unemployment, that is unemployment fraud, which could be punished by criminal action or civil action or both. For civil action they would seek repayment of the money received, plus a penalty of up to 3 times the money paid and interest and you would lose the right to collect future benefits for up to 3 years.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.