Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm being evicted from my business/residence and I go to a…

I'm being evicted from my...
I'm being evicted from my business/residence and I go to a hearing on the 21st. This is kinda hard for me to put into words because of my Aspergers syndrome and I don't know exactly where to start but I'll do my best. I'm a sole proprietor auto mechanic and I've been at this location since 1982. I signed a lease in 1983 but it has since expired. In 2004 things got very hard up for me and I had to move out of my residence at the time and move into the garage in a back room. I asked my landlord (Jack Robben) if I could move into the garage and live in the back and if so I could keep an eye out for things because I would be there at night and he agreed. This is a complex with several businesses including mine. Jack died about three years ago and he willed everything to his son Greg who is now evicting me because I missed last October's rent. And even though I told him I would catch up on all rent by the end of the month he said he had a renter that was going to pay three times the amount of rent that I was paying and I had to go. MY QUESTION IS: Do I have any right to collect any monies from my landlord for the time I was there watching the complex for him. There was never any talk about watching the complex for money and there certainly wasn't any signed contract but I did watch the place, chasing away three burglars just shortly after moving in.
3/16/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

MY QUESTION IS: Do I have any right to collect any monies from my landlord for the time I was there watching the complex for him.

.

Unfortunately no, if there was never any contractual agreement, written or verbal, to pay you for your efforts in watching the complex for the owner, then you can't unilaterally impose one.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer