Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can your job take your hold check when u quit a job...I

Customer Question
Can your job take...

Can your job take your hold check when u quit a job...I never sign papers agreeing to that...

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will I think...hourly... I'm a private contacter but I work under a company

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

When you leave a job your employer is obligated to pay you for the hours that you worked. They are obligated to pay you on the next regular pay date on which you would normally be paid.

If they hold your pay they are violating the law. They can not hold your pay even if they have claims against you.

You can file a complaint at no cost with your State's Office of Wage and Hour. You cna google search them by entering the name of your state and Wage and Hour Complaint.

Even if they have you classified as a contractor, you may be wrongly classified. So you should still file the complaint. If the Office of Wage and Hour can not help you , you are still entitled to your pay. BUT you may have to sue your former employer in small claims court.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney