Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I wanted to see if my employee is suppose to allow me 30…

I wanted to see...

I wanted to see if my employee is suppose to allow me 30 minutes lunch break without doing anything on the job? And if I clock out for lunch and I still work should I get paid that 30 minutes. I have other concerns also

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

My director tells me I have to take lunch so I clock out but I still got to carry phone and take care of issues

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union at will...I h

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes in January I was called to HR by my director and spoken to about carpooling. Since then its like everyday I'm called for something. My doctor gave me to weeks out for anxiety and pressure

3/15/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Which state?

Ca

Thank you for the additional information.

Under California law (which is much more generous to employees than federal law), if you are a non-exempt worker, you are entitled to meal and rest breaks: a 30-minute meal break if you work more than 5 hours in a workday, and 10 minutes breaks for every 4 hours you work.

1. If you work over 5 hours in a day, you are entitled to a meal break of at least 30 minutes that must start before the end of the fifth hour of your shift. BUT, you can agree with your boss to waive this meal period provided you do not work more than 6 hours in the workday. You can also agree with your boss to an on-duty meal break which counts as time worked and is paid.
  • If you work over 10 hours in a day, you are entitled to a second meal break of at least 30 minutes that must start before the end of the tenth hour of your shift. You can agree with your boss to waive the second meal break if you do not work more than 12 hours and you did not waive your first meal break.
  • You must be allowed to take your meal break off work premises and spend your break how you wish, since it is off the clock.
  • You cannot be required to work during any required meal break. [Cal. Lab. C. 226.7].
  • As of 2012, your boss has an affirmative obligation to ensure that breaks are made available to you but the actual taking of meal breaks is left to the employee. In other words, you are responsible for “breaking” yourself.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Well I work 8 hours a day. And I do clock out for 30 minutes but I am working those 30 minutes. I guess I need to know if I can do anything legally for that and also I feel that since january I have been harassed by my director

You can let them know that they are in violation of CA Labor regs if they force you to work during your off the clock lunch hour.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

OK thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer