Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Employment Law: I am an Independent Contractor (1099). My…

Employment Law: I...

Employment Law: I am an Independent Contractor (1099). My agency was cancelled before discussing the 2 bids I had submitted.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No--And I am no longer interested in the company since my first bid fell through due to the company not having any truck available.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

It is commissions.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am in Illinois and the corporate headquarters is in Florida

3/16/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! I will wait for an answer. More Info: I am a Freight Agent (Independent Contractor - -1099). I submitted two bids and my agency was cancelled before we discussed how to move forward with the bids. It was my book of business. I can email my Independent Contractor Agreement but it is quite standard. Is there a government agency I can report this incident to? Their HR Dept. is usually for W2 employees. The Senior Manager told me that since I engaged with a lawyer (which is my right) that he cannot talk to me but to call their lawyer to move forward.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Contract Attached
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Contract
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unable to send contract
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just in case you need more info: I am a Freight Agent for Landstar (www.landstar.com). My Manager's office is in Illinois and Missouri.
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

What conduct are you looking to report? I'm not sure I understand.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right now, I am looking to continue with my two bids. They can send the commissions to me or reinstate my contract so I can make sure everything goes well. I have changed companies before and it was painless. I never signed nor reviewed a commissions schedule. My boss tried to tell me two weeks ago that it is $500,000 by the end of year 1 and that was never discussed. I don't know which government agency I should report this too, but the conduct was being pushed out.

I am still not understanding the scenario. A phone call might be a good option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Scenario: Which government agency do I report an incident of my manager cancelling agency when I still have business/bids with the company? Will I have problems talking to their lawyer about my commissions? I don't understand why I have not received some type of information or answer?

The challenge for you is to prove that you were an employee of the company and not a contractor. Courts are now looking at the circumstances of the employment to determine whether someone is an employee. If you are an employee that you have potential claims with the Florida Dept. of Labor. If it is truly determined that you are an independent contractor, then you would just have to sue for your lost income.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You

You are welcome. Sorry it took a little time to comprehend. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer