Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I left a company 5 years ago and was given a check for $6000…

I left a company...

I left a company 5 years ago and was given a check for $6000 on my last day as a bonus as I had worked there for many years. The next day I received a call and was told not to deposit it unless I sign a no compete form, which I did not. I never did cash the check but still have it, do I have any recourse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No the company was small and did not have an HR department and I never contacted a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

It was not a union job and I'm not sure what an at will employee is.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/15/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The payment was issued unconditionally. You need not sign anything. If not honored you may pursue the payment. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it! By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Also consider the following. Non Non competes are rarely enforced. they need to be very limited in time and space. unless a few miles and months will typically fail. Most employers wont even pursue it and clients are free to choose for themselves! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
The time frame does not matter?
Correct.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Thanks. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer