Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I currently was asked by a local county sheriff's office to…

I currently was asked...

I currently was asked by a local county sheriff's office to either resign or to be fired. They used the reasoning to be excessive time off. I had doctors note and was never verbally warn or written up. I also have never been verbally or written up for anything else no complainants. They used what I did on my time off against me. I was out recently for a wrist problem and was out for about a month to a month and a half with doctors notes. They requested my medical information and this injury didn't occur on the job. I was trying to see if this is worth pursuing anything or to right a letter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I'm an " at will " employee under the sheriff

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if its worth pursuing anything. I just have a hard time with this for never being verbally warn or written up. When there is other employees who have been verbally warned and written up and nothing was done for by far more major incidents. Also police states employees are verbally warned, then written up and then decided to be let go.

3/16/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you clarify one thing for me?

As a civil service emplo*****, *****'t you have a process to appeal your potential wrongful termination?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not sure I have never been in a situation like this before.

Thank you for the information.

This is worth fighting for. You should not resign. You should let them terminate you then you can fight it. However, you need to report this incident to your Human Resources Department and also get information on the department's grievance process. I would think as a civil service employee, that you have more rights because you are not an employee at will.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for you advise

You are quite Welcome!

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law