Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was hired by the VA and I fired 11 months into my job.

During those 11 months I...
I was hired by the VA and I fired 11 months into my job. During those 11 months I worked with veterans who are homeless and had criminal justice issues. I trusted my boss totally. Unknowingly, in an attempt to obtain resources for my clients, I created problems for myself by asking to contact legislators and other higher-ups in the VA system. My office mate was an older gentleman ready to retire who was bitter and angry and didn't like me. He was Catholic single, and cared for his Alzheimer's ridden mother. He was very conservative in his style. I was very outgoing assertive and would go out and get what I needed for my clients. I stepped on his toes on more than one occasion. One time he asked me to transport a suicidal client in an agency vehicle. I told him no. I believed it was a liability a safety issue and against the code of conduct for the VA. I also questioned him once as to why he didn't tell one of his workers that a client of hers had committed suicide when all of upper management new it. I called her one day to ask how she was doing and ended up being the one to tell her. It became very stressed, they sent me to a different office, at one point I talked about I need to be hospitalized like I had been after my mother's death. Another example was that my boss got a complaint from another agency and had to council me and said it was no big deal when I forcefully asked how I could repair the issue. He laughed and said don't worry about it. He then sent a letter to that agency talking about how the VA only colds their staff to the highest standards, I have been shown the email that was sent, which was a lie, and that he was very sorry for my behavior. I never learned about this until after I was fired. My boss would say such things as go ahead and work at home just don't tell anybody. I broke every rule in the book when I was in your position but if you tell anyone I'll deny it on the stand. At one point he also told me that everything I was saying and doing was being recorded. In my job prior to the va I worked 20 years without so much as a write-up. At the VA I never had a performance evaluation, a letter of counseling, or any other official right up in my file. When I would ask my boss if I was in danger of being fired (when he told me I was being watched) he laughed and said no you're worth it. At one point my office mate yelled at me and told me I was out there to the point the people in opposite offices heard him. I couldn't think I couldn't concentrate, I could barely do my job I was so stressed. And the day I was fired I asked if my union representative should be there which I was denied. As I walked out the door my supervisor told me I was being bullied and I could fight this. Many of the examples in my,"evidence file" were things that he only knew or had procured. And he also signed my termination. I have been unable to find work now for 3 years, I am destitute, I still suffer from PTSD, and am on disability for my mental health issues. I don't know where to go now. Please help me. Thank you.
3/15/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question is what kind of recourse do I have at this point? I understand that the statute of limitations has run out as well as being able to use tort law. I am unable to find employment because of this mark on my record so I have no money and continue to struggle with PTSD as a result of this action by the VA. What I want is for my record to be cleared and financial compensation.

I understand you want compensation...but it is too late to sue. Did you have some other question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand that and wrote that in my first reply. I was hoping that as an attorney you would be able to be creative. Could I not have an attorney send a letter to the VA outlining what we know about these two individuals and their actions? My office mate is retired. My supervisor is a handsome Marine whose goal is to get to Washington. I do not want to be mean and vindictive but this man has ruined my life. I am quite sure that his supervisor has no clue what he has done and the underhandedness, unethical, mean-spirited, and at times totally unprofessional behavior at my expense. In these days when the VA is perceived in such poor light and it is an election year, can't that put some pressure on the VA. The letter would not have to say anything about suing them, pursuing them, it would just be vague enough 2 make them sweat and aware of what happened. I firmly believe if this information was made aware of it would not be good. The second day I started my job my supervisor called his office mate a f****** b****. I'm quite sure that's not the professional standard of retired marine or anybody that works at the VA.

Thank you

You can certainly complain about this conduct to the VA. You would not need to hire an attorney for this...though you could if you liked. And you can detail the misconduct of these employees.
But the fact this is an election year, in my opinion, is not relevant. The underlying assertions you make in the letter may well cause the VA to take action, but not based on a pending election.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer