Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can my employer force me to take hepatitis vaccine. At will…

Customer Question
Can my employer force...

Can my employer force me to take hepatitis b vaccine

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will not union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I work in manufacturing nothing medical related

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/15/2018
Employment Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Yes. It is unusual unless in the Medical field but employers can have a mandatory vaccine policy, and they can actually fire non-union workers for not complying except in some situations. That's because most employment is at will. However, if someone has a religious objection or has a disability or a medical condition, an employer could be subjecting itself to potential liability under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (“Title VII”), the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (“ADAAA”), and various state laws.

Title VII may require an employer to provide a reasonable accommodation to an employee with religious beliefs that prevent him or her from taking vaccines. Likewise, individuals with certain disabilities may not be able to have certain vaccinations due to the risk that they will exacerbate their medical conditions.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.