Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated from my job today for a HIPAA violation. I…

I was terminated from...

I was terminated from my job today for a HIPAA violation. I worked in the nursing center of a retirement community. A few weeks ago someone came in saying she was an ombudsman and wanted the list of names of the residents who were in assisted living. I printed out the list that shows the resident's name, apt. and phone numbers. I was told today that revealing that someone is in assisted living is letting someone know that they require some type of health care. I thought a HIPAA violation required a person to give specific medical information about a resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

The meeting I had was with my supervisor and HR manager.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not anything I can think of right now.

3/15/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Technically no, just releasing that a person is in an assisted living facility connects that person to medical care. A person's residence in such places is confidential, unless they choose to release it.

That being said, even if the employer were wrong here, the employer doesn't need an actual HIPAA violation to justify a termination in an "at will" employment situation. The employer doesn't need a reason at all, so on these facts the employer could feel that the revelation of information too close to the line for their comfort and that is a sufficient basis for a termination under at will employment.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
o.k. thank you for the quick response.

No problem.

Now, I do think that you have a reasonable basis to argue for unemployment if the employer tries to block it, but that is a different legal standard than whether or not the termination itself is legal.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer