Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm concerned that I'm not being compensated equally to my…

Hi Pearl. I'm concerned...

Hi Pearl. I'm concerned that I'm not being compensated equally to my peers And I'm not sure what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I'm the only Black member at my job level, and even though I manage 40% of the $, and 5 times the accounts, I have been consistently denied promotions (while winning awards for performance and consistent high evaluations) No, I'm sort of at a breaking point after getting denied today. This is my first website I've visited

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am at will in NYC, and do not belong to a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm honestly not sure. Is there anything else I should provide, do you think?

3/15/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

If you've reached this point, it may be time to go outside the company and have the matter reviewed by the EEOC in your state. While your facts present the framework of a claim, the only way to really know about the strength of a claim is to contact the EEOC and have them investigated. The EEOC is not a court, so you don't need evidence to prove your case. Instead, the EEOC is a federally tasked agency, that investigates allegations of discrimination based on suspicion. They then look for the evidence that either supports or contradicts the allegation.

No matter what the EEOC thinks, you get the right to sue from them and you must do so within 300 days of the last instance of discrimination that you perceive. Certainly, adverse employment actions like refusals to promote can constitute discrimination. However, you have to understand that the employer is going to be notified of the complaint (and so, if you have never made your concerns known to the employer, they will be able to say that) and will have the chance to state a legitimate, non-discriminatory basis for the decisions they have made to not promote you.

Filing with the EEOC is a protected activity, so any retaliation against you would essentially create an independent lawsuit just for that behavior and often that is behavior that the EEOC takes on directly, themselves.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thanks very much for your reply, Allen.I'm a little concerned about filing a report without the case having any merits. I'm hesitant to claim things are racially motivated when they might just be standard terrible business practices. Do you have any suggestions for how to get a sense of the validity here?

I really don't. This is always a feel thing. If you have tried addressing this with the employer and their answers just don't make sense, that is suspicious.

If you notice a trend in who is promoted, that is suspicious. If you see no representation of diversity higher up in the company, that can be suspicious.

You are right though, there could be just bad business practices and there really is no good way to know from the outside.