Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I want to quit my job while I'm on fmla, can they make me…

Hi. If I want...

Hi. If I want to quit my job while I'm on fmla, can they make me pay them back for the portion of medical coverage they are paying for my to continue my benefits while on leave? Even though I am an at will employee?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not work because I work in HR and the person handling the LOA is also my boss. Their harassment has caused me to go out on disability.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am at will. No union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there any point in in putting in a 2 weeks notice in I'm out on leave? That's it.

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are on FMLA and the employer normally pays a portion of your benefit, they cannot make you repay that portion of the benefit if you quit. The employer can only make you pay your normal share of your benefit while on FMLA.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I am on leave , should I still give a 2 weeks notice? (although they would most likely not except the full 2 weeks)

Thank you for your reply.

At this point quite honestly I would not give two week notice, there is no law saying you have to give two week notice. So if you no longer want to work there, you can simply tell them you quit immediately.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney