Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My wife was promised a commission for an entire year and did…

Customer Question
My wife was promised...

My wife was promised a commission for an entire year and did not receive it. The next year she brought it to their (her employers) attention and they rectified it. They offered her a lower commission than she was promised. She accepted that. A few months later they hired a male in the same position and gave him the commission she was promised and didn’t up her commission until the male employee made mention of it to my wife. What should we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

It was discussed a year later because my wife was afraid to tell me, I made her go to them to speak up for herself. They then rectified the situation going forward from that year, but didn’t do anything about the first year and a half.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Salery plus commission. She works for a Stone and cabinetry design company as a designer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is pregnant right now and they are attempting to fire her, without health benefits because of a disagreement with her and the owner of the store. She has been there 3 1/2 years. She is 6 months pregnant. It’s a small business and they’re being completely unfair.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If this is the case, then she needs to file an equal pay claim with the US Department of Labor. The US DOL takes this type of equal pay act complaint extremely seriously and they will pursue the investigation and will pursue the employer for any violations to seek to recover what is due the employee OR they will give the employee the investigation information for the employee to sue the employer directly for violation of the equal pay act

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney