Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have given my employer 2 weeks notice. Is my employer

I have given my...

I have given my employer 2 weeks notice. Is my employer required by law to cash me out on sick days?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, this is a very small family owned business. I have never been given a contract or handbook. The manage/HR is the owner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm in Colorado

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under Colorado law, sick days are not payable upon termination of employment. Colorado law includes VACATION pay as money that must be paid to the employee upon termination of employment, not sick days. See: CO Rev. Stat. Sec. 8-4-101.

Also, when you give an employer 2 week notice, legally they can terminate your employment immediately and do not have to allow you to work the full two week notice period and under Colorado law they only have to pay you for the time you actually worked.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He verbally told me he would cash me out on my sick days. My last day would be the 22nd of March. Can I take my sick days starting the 20th?

Thank you for your reply.

That is up to your employer if they choose to do so, it is not under any law that they have to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time!

Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney