Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I lost security privileges due to another employee telling…

Customer Question
I lost security privileges...

I lost security privileges due to another employee telling management about my boyfriends felony background. The same person has a family member with a felony background and she didn't lose her privileges. When I brought her family background to the attention of management I was walked out of the building and let go.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will and I was hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Unfortunately, as a general rule, employment in all states but Montana is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

This means an employee can be terminated based on their association with someone who has a felony. This remains true even if other employees are associated with people who have felonies and are not also terminated. This is not to say that termination under these circumstances is fair or warranted--it is neither of those things. But with "at will" employment, it doesn't have to be in order to be legal.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Tina, Lawyer