Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

When I file an EEOC complaint, how does it take for my

When I file an...

When I file an EEOC complaint, how long does it take for my employer to be notified of that complaint

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the EEOC case with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

When I file an EEOC complaint, how long does it take for my employer to be notified of that complaint? I want my employer to be placed on notice ASAP.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I belong to a union and have filed a grievance via the union for receiving a Final Warning, my first, without the company going thru its progressive disciplinary process. I am almost at retirement age, at the top of the pay scale with exemplary evaluations and the company wants to me to retire and I want to work, ergot, the Final Warning for a nebulous infraction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My request to remove the Final Warning was denied and I am appealing. I just want to make sure that notice of my EEOC Complaint is not delayed. I think that is it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

In my experience the EEOC reaches out to the employer between 3-6 weeks after a complaint is received. I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure...

Does the EEOC note the date of receipt of my complaint? In other words, when does the time clock start ticking? I faxed my complaint and sent the same copy by certified mail.

Yes, they will note when the complaint was received. But the 3-6 weeks that I was referring to is generally from when the complaint was first submitted (rather than received) to when the employer is contacted. Of course this is just a rough guideline and different EEOC offices vary, but this has been my experience.

If you desire, you can certainly provide your employer with a copy of your EEOC complaint, just to alert them to the fact that you filed one. There is nothing improper about that.

Patrick, Esq.
Thank you so much Patrick. I believe that information is very helpful since the atmosphere has become toxic and I think some retaliation is in the offing. I am finished and will rate you with the five stars you deserve.

I am very glad I could help and I wish you the best in resolving things with your employer.