Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

When I file an EEOC complaint, how does it take for my

When I file an...

When I file an EEOC complaint, how long does it take for my employer to be notified of that complaint

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the EEOC case with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

When I file an EEOC complaint, how long does it take for my employer to be notified of that complaint? I want my employer to be placed on notice ASAP.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I belong to a union and have filed a grievance via the union for receiving a Final Warning, my first, without the company going thru its progressive disciplinary process. I am almost at retirement age, at the top of the pay scale with exemplary evaluations and the company wants to me to retire and I want to work, ergot, the Final Warning for a nebulous infraction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My request to remove the Final Warning was denied and I am appealing. I just want to make sure that notice of my EEOC Complaint is not delayed. I think that is it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

In my experience the EEOC reaches out to the employer between 3-6 weeks after a complaint is received. I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the EEOC note the date of receipt of my complaint? In other words, when does the time clock start ticking? I faxed my complaint and sent the same copy by certified mail.

Yes, they will note when the complaint was received. But the 3-6 weeks that I was referring to is generally from when the complaint was first submitted (rather than received) to when the employer is contacted. Of course this is just a rough guideline and different EEOC offices vary, but this has been my experience.

If you desire, you can certainly provide your employer with a copy of your EEOC complaint, just to alert them to the fact that you filed one. There is nothing improper about that.

Patrick, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much Patrick. I believe that information is very helpful since the atmosphere has become toxic and I think some retaliation is in the offing. I am finished and will rate you with the five stars you deserve.

I am very glad I could help and I wish you the best in resolving things with your employer.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer