Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

The question about the phone... If he tries to tell them I…

The question about the phone...If...
The question about the phone...If he tries to tell them I wasn't answering his phone calls, how should I respond...Here is what happened - I don't want to share more than what's needed...I'm concerned that on the first 3 days of our separation he complained to me about not reaching me by phone.What can I say to prevent that from becoming an issue he uses.When he left on the first day we agreed verbally to correspond by email to reduce tensions.But he wanted to keep calling me about the separation.I answered by email and kept doing my work.He finally sent an email on the third day saying if he can't reach me by phone there is going to be a problem, so I called as quick as I could and called him back every time after that.Finally on the Thursday he asked me to call him. I did and we talked about work stuff and then he escalated to marital stuff and I told him if we're done discussing work I have to go.That's when he emailed me and fired me.I'm not sharing this part of the story now, but later if they ask is this something I should say?
3/14/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I agree that there's no reason to share that part of the story now. If he does bring it up, though, the timing makes it pretty clear that his issues were about the marriage, not your job. You can help them see that.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer