Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated (dismissal) without cause Monday March 5th…

Customer Question
I was terminated (dismissal)...

I was terminated (dismissal) without cause Monday March 5th 2018. I was forced to sign paperwork under duress. There was no reason for termination. What rights do I have? Since I signed a termination letter have I signed my rights away even though it was under duress?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I don't belong to a union and I dont know what 'at will' refers to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a lot more but that is the basic situation

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Generally, your rights are going to be limited to whatever you agreed to in your dismissal paperwork. Employers have the right to terminate an employee for any reason or at any time. Employers cannot force employees to sign away their rights to sue for discrimination or harassment and oftentimes courts will over look that, but an employer can have an employee agree to sign away their rights to collect unemployment as a condition of some severance package.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Tina, Lawyer