Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

This is a whistleblower retaliation. I was involved in a…

Customer Question
This is a whistleblower...

This is a whistleblower retaliation. I was involved in a whistleblowing of USPS and I left USPS. About 1.5 year after I left the USPS, this USPS retaliate by alleging I own them money (my part of health insurance premium during the 1.5 years they said).

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this retaliation issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I already left USPS 1.5 years before the event and I have never returned to the USPS location and I have never talked to them too since I left them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Union. I was salaried.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what can I answer for you about this situation?

My question is what to do? I was involved in whistblowing USPS in Fall 2013; and when they saw I was involved they started to harass me. I wrote to the Inspector General of USPS but he didn't act, so I decided to leave for good USPS the Friday June The Bureau ofUSPS said they continued to pay for me a health insurance duraing the 1.5 years after I left them. I asked them how that's possible (the maximum length they can continue to pay a health insurance for an employee who leave is 1 6th, 2014. One and half year later in 2016 I got a call from a debt collector saying I own USPS money. The Bureau of the fiscal service of federal governement sent me a letter to to say the samething. The money I own USPS they said is the employee's part of the health insurance during the period June 2014 - October 2015; i.e. during the period about one year and half after I left USPS. I then asked them how that possible but they don't answer (I already left USPS; and the health insurance is renewed every year around October each year in other word even if we assume my health insurance was continued after I left USPS, it was supposed to end in October 2014 except in very few case such as the employee is going to do military duty and in this case the health can continue for 1 more year and NO MORE THAN ONE YEAR). I also asked them to provide me a proof if they truly paid the empolyer's part of the insurance, but so far they have been unable to provide it too. After I asked these questions to the debt collector, the debt collector was gone but the Bureau of the fiscal service in Birmingham continues to harass me and they don't tell me what I should do to REFUTE/DISPUTE the alleged money. How to do?
I need it in writing but not in calling
Sorry but I don't want live call. Thanks.

I would demand proof of the claim in writing and that they not contact you further otherwise in violation of the fair debt collections act.

is the reply acceptable?

Awaiting your reply, thank you!