Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

On the unemployment claim I'm having to report the small…

On the unemployment claim I'm...
On the unemployment claim I'm having to report the small amount of substitute teaching I did a year ago - it's asking why it ended -Really it ended bc I didn't like it and it was just a here and there spotty part time work and didn't pay very wellSo I simply stopped towards the end of the school year and instead opted to work for my husband in SeptemberShould I say it ended bc the seasonal work ended? I've uploaded the choices for reasons they gave me.
3/14/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

Seasonal employment is more like retail employees who work over Christmas and are let go in the New Year. It wouldn't apply to something like substitute teaching. If you were only offered the one job and no more, then you could say that the job ended. But the forms must be completed honestly. Any false statement is grounds for denying the claim and making you repay any benefits received.

Since you're not asking for benefits based on that job, it shouldn't make a difference. But omitting it could harm your claim for benefits, because they'll reach out to the school, and the school will tell them the work wasn't seasonal.

looking to put the honest answer.So say I quit or left the job?

Assuming more work could have been available if you'd wanted it, yes.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
ty

You're welcome!