Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I gave my job 2 weeks notice. And they were not happy about…

Customer Question
Hello. I gave my...

Hello. I gave my job 2 weeks notice. And they were not happy about it. It was very clear after they realized they could not change my mind that the goal was to try and make me quit on the spot. My last day was scheduled to be on 3/15/18. Two days from today. And the manager tells me that today has to be my last day.. I had been there nearly 2 years and wasn't even given a chance to leave in peace.. No Integrity.. What legal steps can I take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It happened today was wondering what I should do..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything right now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Regrettably none. While there are certainly many things that the law regulates with employment, the employer acting like a baby is not one of them.

The employer is not legally required to allow you to work through your notice period. When you give notice, you are technically immediately resigning and offering the employer the favor of additional work time, which the employer can accept or not. Not accepting that additional work time offer does not change your resignation into a termination.

At this point, you have not described any illegal action by your former employer. Unprofessional, yes, but not illegal.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer