Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

At my employer we have an intimidation policy. I have been a…

At my employer we...

At my employer we have an intimidation policy. I have been a victim of intimidation and harassment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I'm a full time contracted employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What else does the lawyer need to know?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Has this intimidation been based on discrimination due to your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use?

Have you approached the employer about enforcement of their policy?

What is your question?

It has not been due to race, religion, gender, age, disability, or FMLA use.
Yes I've spoken to the employer about the policy.
I wanted to know if I had a case?

General employment law doesn't make it illegal to be intimidating in the workplace, unless based on one of those factors I asked about. The Supreme Court stated that our employment laws are not a civility code, so under general employment law, you'd not have a case. Regrettably, that means you'd not be able to use the Department of Labor or EEOC for a free and secure means of addressing this issue.

Instead, you have only the company policy to address this issue. The employer's policy can be seen as an implied contract. You can push the employer to try and respond and if they do not, you'd be forced to hire your own local attorney to sue based on the implied contract of the policy.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Thanks

Take care.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer