Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I signed a non compete back in 2012 and was terminate out of…

Customer Question
Hi, I signed a...

Hi, I signed a non compete back in 2012 and was terminate out of the blue and when I asked why they said because I was unhappy. I then signed and took a severance package. I was offered a job from a company that I did not feel was a competitor but before I started work there I wanted to just confirm with the old company that they agreed. They decided to block my taking the job and said they would not compensate me because they terminated me for Gross insubordination. Which is not true and that was the first time in 6 years of working there I have ever heard of tthis. I had stellar reviews. Could I win this in court in Florida?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida and the employer I want to work for has their attorney going back and forth with them. I just want to know if they can lie about my termination after the fact. I have my termination letter and nothing in there is about insubordination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Plus they could say all companies have similar producs because they sell industrial and Architectural metals. Where is the line drawn and how?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/13/2018
Employment Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Win what case? You want to sue for what reason?

defamation of character and blocking me from a job due to a non compete but further more not paying me three months pay as stated in the non compete if they block me from going to work at a company. They are using a paragraph that said the only way they will not pay the three months if they enforce the no compete with a company is if you were let go for cause. So they decided to make it up. I was never told or written up for any insubordination now they are claiming it.

THanks

Defamation of character is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If someone lied about you and that lie harmed your reputation? You can sue the person who lied for defamation.

Did the company lie about you?

I was never told I was being insubordinate or ever reprimanded or written up prior to this information that an attorney sent me and the potential employers attorney which I would think is against the law since the attorney they copied represents the future employer and not me.

THank you
If you can prove they lied about you, and the lies harmed your reputation? Then you have a good defamation suit.

As for not paying you for 3 months? IF they are in violation of your employment contract? You can sue to recover the money they owe you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Kind of vague

You asked if you had a case...I answered that. If you have more questions, please ask

If you want to discuss in detail, I will send the offer for a phone call (I can offer at a nominal additional charge-$5)

P. Simmons, Lawyer