Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a phone interview with unemployment next week to go…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a phone interview with unemployment next week to go over my claim from last year. There were parts I messed up on by putting myself self employed instead of having an employer for one day jobs and did not report them. They would like to go over every day I worked during the claim period. They’re going to find I was taking overpayments. Should I say I will repay the full amount of 6500 before they delve into each day?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I was setting up this years claim on the phone and the lady I was talking noticed I put self employed for last year and employed this year so she is having someone call next week to go over that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that’s it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I would not offer to pay and admit anything. See if they can establish it.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather pay everything now verses getting into more trouble. Even if I have to money to pay it all off you still suggest I don’t? The last thing I want is to goto court and get charged with something.

If not disputed you can offer to pay and reach a compromise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I talk to them when they call or let them determine what happened themselves and pay whatever balance they deem I owe? Like I said I will pay whatever I just do not want to get charged with anything.

I would find out what they claim is owing, as they may be seeking to accept a lower amount.

If my reply is acceptable, kindly let me know by replying "yes"

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far nothing has been charged on me. They are calling to look at the work dates from during the claim. I did take the whole claim during the period and was overpaid during it. If I talk to them they will find it out. What I’m asking is before we get into all the work dates, should I offer to just pay it all since I can and not face further charges. Do you think they would accept that or will they want to go into further detail about the work dates overpayments anyway. And seeing as how they haven’t charged me with anything yet I’m debating if I should even talk to them when they call in the first place. Because when I do all the info will get out.
I see no benefit in volunteering information either.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the interview mail notice it says if I do not answer their phone call they will make a ruling themselves. Should I do that? I don’t want to lie nor delve info that could incriminate me. It says if they suspect I’ve been overpaid I will be required to pay whatever is owed which I intend to do anyway.
I would participate but not volunteer information. You can then also settle.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The whole reason they are calling is to go over the work dates. I don’t know how that would go if I didn’t volunteer the information. What would I say?
You can only volunteer if recall and have available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Acceptable
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Michael Gonzalez
Phone call session started
Infolawyer, Lawyer