Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Lucy one more quesiton about my unemployment claim. My

Lucy one more quesiton about...
Lucy one more quesiton about my unemployment claim.My husband never gave me any company policy agreement or a starting job statement.So I never had a title given.We had agreed verbally that I would use my management consulting background to help him develop a "dashboard" to give him immediate cash flow and income monitoring so that he can better "drive" the company.When I started in the fall, we agreed I would do some of his bookkeeping to learn Quickbooks and the processes that he uses so that I can streamline the process and gather softward development support.Meanwhile I operated as bookkeeper while planning and setting the foundation for the dashboard.So I was given a higher pay than a normal bookkeeper. ($890 per week).During our separtion, he got hot headed and let me go. A few days later he hired his ex-wife - she only asks for a fraction of the pay - she will never do more than bookkeeping (I'm guessing less than half of what I got paid).My question is this. On the unemployment form - do I put management consultant or bookkeep or analysist?If I put bookkeeper - that's her job - he didn't really just replace me with her - he's also decided he no longer needs me to be a consultant.I just want to make sure I don't hurt myself by putting a bad title in there.
3/13/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

The title alone shouldn't impact whether they put your claim, but since you worked as both a management consultant and a bookkeeper, you can put both on the claim form. If there's only room for one, typically you would go with the job you held at the time of being let go, which in this case would be bookkeeper.

Thank you. Would it matter if he's paying her less than half of what he was paying me and we are listed with the same job title?

It shouldn't make a difference, because there's nothing in the law that says all people with the same position get the same pay. You're entitled to what he agreed to pay you, regardless of the job title.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Ty