Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I give non smoking employees extra time off becasue they…

Can I give non...

Can I give non smoking employees extra time off becasue they do not take smoke breaks?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No I am the company owner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

We're an "at will" employer in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

3/13/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

There are no breaks required of NC workers, who are adults, under state or federal law and smokers are not a protected class.

So, it is not illegal to give break time to non smokers.

Since there is no requirement to give breaks to workers, you can administer the breaks you do give in any way you want, so long as it is not illegal or discriminatory. There is noting illegal or discriminatory in providing the extr time to non smokers.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer