Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer is refusing to pay me my wages after my

My employer is refusing...

My employer is refusing to pay me my wages after my promotion and I am afraid a claim will not be enough. The sad part is one supervisor was given his offer letter and pay back in December, while I was not along with others. I am at the point where I want to take legal action against my employer or have an attorney write a letter to demand my pay before I file a claim.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was promoted on October 31st and still no offer letter and no supervisor wage, I was also given a $2 increase instead $4. I was hired at $11.75, now I am at $13.75 but I should be at $15.80

3/13/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

A wage claim generally would make you more likely to get the money you're entitled to, not less. This is because the state will collect on your behalf. They can also impose fines to enforce compliance, which makes the employer often more likely to pay. But when you file a lawsuit in court, you have to collect the money yourself. That means applying for a writ of execution and serving documents on them to get access to their bank accounts. The courts don't help you collect. That's one reason many people choose to file wage claims where they can - it's much more simple. And the state can also help ensure you get the $15.80 going forward, where in court, you'd have to go back and file for contempt if they didn't increase your wages.

If you still prefer to file a lawsuit on your own, most Nevada counties should have small claims court forms available on their websites. That's your starting point. You could also send a demand letter via certified mail, to get their attention without a lawyer, or you could hire a local attorney to send the letter on your behalf.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to go the route of a certified letter from an attorney before filing a claim. Is it possible for you to do that by any chance?

JustAnswer experts are unfortunately not allowed to draft letters on behalf of customers. A good place to find someone in your area is www.martindale.com.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you for the clarification. And your help.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer