Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated from my sales position on February 2. The…

I was terminated from my...
I was terminated from my sales position on February 2. The company is being reasonable and has agreed to pay commissions from sales closed in January. However, I had a very large opportunity that was in the contract phase that I asked to be paid on when it closed. Now I am being told the deal isdelayed and may not happen. I have a feeling my employer is either not being truthful or is purposely delaying the sale in an attempt to avoid paying commissions. They also sent me a Separation and Release Agreement which states, in part, "By executing this Agreement, Employee acknowledges
that he is not owed any additional compensation from Company and he does not contend that
Company should pay any further commissions or wages owed to Employee." This makes me nervous. They won't pay me my commissions until I sign and return this document.
3/13/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

You should file a wage claim with the Colorado Department of Labor arguing that these are earned and owed wages that the employer is holding hostage until you agree to sign a release of claims, which is not legal.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdle/complaint-forms

This way, you don't have to rely on the employer remaining reasonable. The state will tell the employer what is reasonable and they will have to do it.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Thank you ...

No problem. Take care.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer