Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a private company for past 17+ years that has a…

Customer Question
I work for a private...
I work for a private company for past 17+ years that has a federal contract , I speak Russian and it has never been an issue. Our building gets no cell reception from any carrier so we always use work land lines for all calls , and now my legal department is investigating me speaking Russian , I feel like this is harassment and some sort of which hunt , looking for case law and cased that show it is legal to speak Russian and I should not be unjustly pursuit because of ir
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/13/2018
Employment Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Is that your native language? Were you born there?

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you because of your national origin, see

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dora/civil-rights/employment-discrimination

so it is legal for you to speak Russian when you call family members or friends.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer