Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Friend is in Turkey, had contract. story short he had a

Friend is in Turkey...

Friend is in Turkey, had contract. Long story short he had a worker die on the job. I think the worker had made a bad elecrial connection. They agree that my friend would pay the family 30,000.00 resulting from his death. How come he can't get the mony from his bank acount in the states to be sent to Turkey to pay the family?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He is from Pennsylvsnia, sirry ccan't spell

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They went thru a lawyer over in Turkey. Since there they have beaten him up an endedin hospital

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has raise all mo ey from friends but still short 11.000.00

3/13/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Have you ever met your friend in Turkey before, or is he an internet romance you have only communicated with electronically?

People who ask a question like this, and frankly, we've heard this one before a couple of times, are the unknowing victim of an internet romance scam. They think their so-called boyfriend is abroad working on some kind of a contract, but in reality, he's neither who, what nor where he says he is, and there's no emergency.

Any real contractor who could land a foreign contract of this sort would have insurance for a loss like this. He'sd also have assets and credit.

He can't get money from his account in the States because he's not an American, has no bank account in the States, and the only money he has at all is going to come from you.

This scam is called the STranded Traveler. Here's how it works, and if this sounds at all familiar to you, you will know I'm right, because scammers follow a script because it works.

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He talks love, marriage, future and forever, before you can even meet in person.

He seems to be everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck.

Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business, most commonly as an engineer, construction supervisor or architect. If he tells you he's in some other line of work, he claims his job involves international traveling.

And lo and behold, before he can finally meet you, he ends up typically in some country on that's neither his nor yours, where he claims to be working on some multi-million dollar building project.

Once there, Mr Perfect suddenly will turn into Mr. Needy, the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure, for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems, can't get into his bank, and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his possessions and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

Whatever the excuses, they are all lies, designed only to part you with your money.

This scam can come complete with phony documents, phony customs workers, phony lawyers, phony doctors and more. He may even send you a copy of his so-called job contract so that you can see for yourself that he's going to have money to pay you back with soon. Don't believe it. You will never see a dime of any money you send him. And you'll never meet him, since he's just a thief hiding behind a fake profile and a photo of someone else.

If any of this sounds familiar, and of course it does, he's a fraud. There is no exception.

You need to cease all contact with the scammer and send him no money. YOu will never meet him. And he will keep on having emergencies until your money runs out, at which time he will disappear for good.

If you're not convinced, upload any photos or documents that he has sent you and I'll be happy to try to prove that to you. You can do that by using the link that says +Add Files to the left of the Send button.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will the second question cost me
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer