Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I got suspended from work today, pending further

I got suspended from...

I got suspended from work today, pending further investigation I work at an out patient ambulatory surgery center a patients daughter called in this past Friday her mom lost her drivers license so all she asked for was the issue date and the expiration date from me and I gave it over the phone to her, then she was so grateful and ask to speak to my supervisor so I got my Administrator which was standing behind me my administrator hung up and asked me what did you do I said oh just gave her info off her moms I.D so she can order her a new one, so today she calls me in her office and says I told her i disclosed the license number I told her no I gave her just the issue date so my question is did i violate the hippa privacy it sounds like that is what she is claiming I did wrong I feel like I am being treated like a criminal, I feel like I have to go to the DMV tomorrow and find the Patient and let her know what they are doing to me because it shounds like they are going to fire me anyways any advise will help thank you very much

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Las Vegas, NV

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't really know.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I filed a workmans comp back in september for carpul tunnel but I since then went to my own doctors and do not have carpal tunnel I have degeneration in my cervical spine c5 c6 and going to get injections soon and in august 2017 was out for 6 weeks for staple hemoroidectomy surgery and work is really behind and just got my yearly review and defended myself its a long story my administrator refused to sign it because of what I wrote in it and she was trying to strong arm me to rewrite it and I told her no this is how I feel and its affecting my work I feel like they are trying to push me out or getting ready to fire me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have worked for this company for almost 14 years its been a challenge the management is really bad I have documentation where I have written letters to human resources on three different supervisors/admininstrator/directors of nursing all three are no longer with the company there are times when I am left alone to check in from 20 to 40 patients alone with no break or lunch they hired a girl to help me but she is always late or calls in a lot just this past week she was off Monday Tuesday and Wednesday they said she had the flu the two ladies in charge tried to bully me on staying till all the patients were checked in as there is no one who knows my job only me and my help when one of us is off we get hit really bad as there is a lot of preparation for the next day my daughter works in human resources and tells me to quit I want to know all the lack of no help and not being able to step away from my desk is this good cause for me just to quit and can I get my unemployment or should i just wait till they fire me I am so mentally stressed in pain all day from my neck
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Id like to know if you can guide me in the right direction I need to contact the people who govern the hippa laws to find out if I broke any laws thats my main concern, so when they call me back to work I will have an answer for my employer and look like I know what I am talking about and they don't, its been a constant battle with this new administrator I feel like she is the one who is being malicious against me.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/14/2018
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm Wendy, a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
id like a reply as soon as possible thank you, Alicia
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your concern:

Response: You did not violate HIPAA because you did not release the patient's health information without her consent. HIPAA deals with health information. For more information on HIPAA, click here.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/index.html

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are quite Welcome!

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law