Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I crossed paths with a Black male who arrived in Southern…

I crossed paths with...

I crossed paths with a Black male who arrived in Southern Arizona to

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I cross paths with a black male who just arrived in Southern Arizona from Mississippi to start a job. Well on his way the bus that he was riding in had mechanical issues in Dallas Texas which put him behind by 2 hours. When I met him he was on his way to Sierra Vista to start a new job, but unfortunately before arriving there, the business owner replaced him without any kind of explanation.Does this man have recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He contacted the owner, and she was adamant about not bringing him on after he had left everything behind to start a new life in Arizona.He tried reaching the owner but she never picked up, and when you try emailing her she did not respond.He finally made contact with her over the weekend.I found this quite disturbing considering what he went through, now he has no job and is almost on the street.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I apologize for the typos...

3/13/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Please contact me... I don't know if giving you my number is ***** but here it is just in case...
Not interested in paying $59.00 ... I can do my own research.. What tips can you give me for my friend?
I apologize for the sloppiness of the original message, I should have reviewed it before I sent it

Good evening,

The gentleman may have recourse, but given the facts, it would be hard to establish. Allow me to explain. Arizona, like most states, is an "at will" employer. That means that absent an employment contract or union agreement, an employer can terminate someone for any reason, or no reason at all, at any time. So they could have decided to terminate him because his bus way delayed (although it wasn't his fault) and that would be perfectly legal.

However, an employee still cannot be fired for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law. In these situations, the government has decided to make an exception to the general rule of at-will employment.For example, if an employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination (as all but the smallest employers are), you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, an employee cannot be fired because they have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace. And they cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.

Are you still with me?

You can ignore the phone call offer (those are sent by the website, not me. Happy to continue chatting here).

Of course, we have no way of knowing if this gentleman had an employment contract at the time he was terminated but it doesn't sound like he did. And unless he could show that he was let go before he started due to an unlawful reason -such as because of his race - he really has no legal recourse.

Robert...Good job... I guess I need to determine under what conditions he was hired before I go any further.Can I report her unethical hiring practices for the record?Her unprofessional behavior needs to be exposed...
The business in a Non Profit entity...
Session over?

Not at all, I'm here.

If this action was taken as a result of discrimination (due to race, religion, age, sex, disability or national origin) then the gentleman could file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at www.eeoc.gov.

While there are ways to report a non-profit for things like fraud, I don't know of anywhere that you can report a non-profit for withdrawing an employment offer. While unprofessional and in poor taste, it isn't -based on these facts -unlawful.

RobertI think you covered it all... It bothers me that people can be treated this way by a cold hearted person and get away with it.
The man is now on the street... He didn't have much when he left.

Oh, it happens ALL the time. And because the majority of employers are "at will" and proving discrimination or unlawful acts by an employer is very difficult...they tend to get away with it.

One thing that he could pursue -though this won't help him in the short-term is to talk with a civil litigation attorney about a possible breach of contract claim based on detrimental reliance. There is certainly an argument that he detrimentally relied on the company's job offer by packing up, moving and spending time and money to travel to Arizona only to have the job offer withdrawn.

Robert..How much time is there remaining? You did an awesome job helping me, I will pass this information on to LAQUISA (Creol).My mother served at the Nuremberg Trials at the end of WWII.Thank you for your expertise...God Bless...SteveTucson, Arizona
Great advice...I'm sorry, but I'm afraid of going over my limit...Glad I connected with you...Steve

This isn't timed, I'm here to help with this matter until you're satisfied!

Your mother is a part of history to have served at those trials. Very impressive, indeed. I think most lawyers dream of being part of a huge case or to make headlines one day, but the reality is that's extremely rare of course!

If you would be so kind as to please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so I am compensated by the website, that would be much appreciated. We can still continue chatting here after you rate the question at no additional cost. Thank you!

RobertI am satisfied... I will let you go on to the next person... May I ask where you're located in the US before I go?Just curious...Steve
You will receive high ratings!

Well, I'm licensed in Florida, though these days I spend a lot of time in New York also.

And appreciate the high ratings. That means a lot. I appreciate the opportunity to have been of assistance.

God Bless you Robert... Start your own 'Legal Ap' and make 'Ap History'.Be safe...
Where do I sign out?
I want to rate you...

So sorry, stepped away to put my older son to bed. There should be stars at the top of the page. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll left or right to see them.

I'm guessing you weren't able to see where to rate? Please let me know if you don't see the stars (sometimes there is a glitch) and I can always have customer service process the accept.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer