Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a company backdate a commission agreement to pay you…

Can a company backdate...

Can a company backdate a commission agreement to pay you less after you have already completed sales for the month. The original agreement states changes can not be made retrospectively but the new agreement has a 1/1/2018 start date.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

HR told my Director that executive leadership made the agreement and it is what it is and we are at will employees.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and FT. The goals were communicated in Oct 2017 and the final incentive plan was signed in Nov 2017 and now 2 weeks before pay out they want to raise the goals and lower the amount of payment.

3/13/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
No. That would be fraud and breach of understanding.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
What if they terminate my position or withhold my money if I do not sign the new agreement?
If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Great. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Will do, ty, the stress of this situation has been almost unbearable, 50k difference with what they promised and what they want to pay!