Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I feel I am currently being discriminated against and

Customer Question
I feel I am...

I feel I am currently being discriminated against and suffering from retaliation because of submitting a HR complaint of intimidation of gun violence in the workplace. What do I need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Full time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/13/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear about this situation.

The best thing to do, generally speaking, is to continue documenting situation and reiterating your complaints to HR. Unfortunately, there is now protected right to complain about intimidation or threats, which means it is not against the law to "retaliate" against an employee for doing this. No reasonable employer is going to continue employing someone who has provably made violent threats against a coworker, but no law requires an employer to terminate such an employee either. If you feel that your employer is not doing enough to protect you against violence in the workplace, you can file a complaint with OSHA and have them investigate. Filing an OSHA complaint is a protected right, which means it WOULD be illegal for your employer to retaliate against you because you complained to OSHA.

I hope this helps If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure...

Tina, Lawyer