Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We have not had a chance to update our Employee Handbook to…

We have not had a...
We have not had a chance to update our Employee Handbook to reflect Chicago Paid Sick Leave, we have made all impacted employees aware of the ordinance and how their accrual time is calculated and tracked using our time-keeping system through an email blast, etc. My question is that we are starting to suspect some abuse of this policy, and don’t know under what situation can we write employees up who we find has taken this time for something like a vacation, etc.Can we send out an all-employee letter notifying employees of the proper use of paid sick leave and referenced that any abuse can lead to disciplinary action up to termination? Again, we are planning to update the Employee Handbook with all the paid sick leave for the various states we are in, but it is a late year project. In the meantime, we want to send out an official memo explaining the notification process and explain how misuse of paid sick leave can lead to disciplinary action up to termination, will this notice be sufficient without getting an employee acknowledgment? Can we deny sick time request if an employee has time and does not give the 7-day notice for a foreseeable illness?
3/13/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Just because you have to provide the sick leave and just because they are entitled to use it when they are sick, the law does not say the employer cannot control or regulate the leave use and that the employer cannot require employees to bring in doctors notes documenting the illness and need to use the leave. You can indeed inform the employees in writing that if they do not comply and properly use sick time in accordance the employer they will be disciplined by the employer up to termination.

7 day notice for foreseeable medical need, but most times sickness comes up suddenly so you would also want a doctors note for use of sick time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney