Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I HAVE A QUESTION IN REGRDS TO TERMINATION FROM AN EMPLOYER.

Customer Question
I HAVE A QUESTION...

I HAVE A QUESTION IN REGRDS TO TERMINATION FROM AN EMPLOYER

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My boss has not fired me yet, howeer i ha . meeting today whih i have been informed the friing will tae place

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. What specifically did you want to know about termination by an employer? Also, can you tell me if you have an employment contract or are part of a union? Any idea why the employer wants to terminate you?

i have not been fired yet me and my sister both work for the same Hilton - Well i currently in the process of relocating and interviewing for new positions and my boss was made aware of this. My sister who also works at the some hotel calls me last night and tells me where i called off from work this past thursday and friday that my boss came to her and told her that i was coming to to work today and meet with her that she would be terminating my employment with stating no show /. no call / job abandoment however when i did email her, text her, and attempt to call her and she responded to the text/email a good 2 hours before my shift.

I understand. And do you have an employment contract or union agreement at your job?

no we do not

Than you for your reply.

While I do not like to give people bad news, it would be unfair to you to give you information that is false. Where an employee has no employment contract or union contract (and most employees do not) you are considered to be an "at will" employee. "At will" employment means an employer can terminate you for any reason, or no reason at all -e.g., you can be fired because the employer says you didn't call in, or because it is cloudly out, or because the employer doesn't like your shoes, for example!

Even if you are an at-will employee, you still cannot be fired for reasons that are illegal under state and federal law. In these situations, the government has decided to make an exception to the general rule of at-will employment.

For example, if your employer is subject to federal and state laws prohibiting job discrimination (as all but the smallest employers are), you cannot be fired because of certain characteristics, such as your race, religion, or gender. Similarly, you cannot be fired because you have complained about illegal activity, about discrimination or harassment, or about health and safety violations in the workplace. And you cannot be fired for exercising a variety of legal rights, including the right to take family and medical leave, to take leave to serve in the military, or to take time off work to vote or serve on a jury.

Based only on the facts you provided, you didn't mention any of these things, so I am going to assume that is not the case. Therefore, although it sounds like you did do exactly what you were supposed to as an employee -unfortunately, it is legal for the employer to still terminate you.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise. Please let me know if I may clarify anything or provide you with additional information.