Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

This is an unusual question. I work as a 1099 contract

This is an unusual...

This is an unusual question. I work as a 1099 contract employee for a Psychic Line which I have worked for for over 20 years. For the past 8 years and especially last numerous unfair and unethical practices against myself and others,. I am aware of option of reporting to Labor Dept . misclassification as contract worker . Wonder my risk of being fired by doing that. I am in a very desperate situation with them

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The company is based in Florida . I live in New York State

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet they place everyone who works for them in fear Dept Of labor for Fla encouraged me to file last year but warned that it coul get verym ugly as it brings them scrutiny from the IRS and that I could be placing myself in personal danger. I do not fear IRS am filing taxes and not hiding anything. sorry for typos cannot correct on here without wiping out whole sentences

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are limiting when I can work and denying it , put me in a fixed pay with no opportunity to increase, long story

3/12/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The first thing that you need to know is that Florida is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

Now that being said, IF you're terminated due to reporting a misclassification, even if you're wrong, you can still file a complaint against the employer for "retaliation" (retaliating against you based upon your filing of the complaint for misclassification). IF that occurs, The first step in such a process would be to file a complaint with the EEOC. You can file a complaint at the EEOC field office nearest to you (you can find the list here: https://www.eeoc.gov/field/). Contact them and inquire about the process to file a complaint. Once you file the complaint, they will conduct an investigation, and if they find that it's meritorious, they'll either try to obtain a settlement from the employer or give you a "right to sue" letter. You'd then want to take that to an attorney in your area to look at your chance of a case.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer