Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Are split shifts illegal in a safety sensitive environment…

Are split shifts illegal...

Are split shifts illegal in a safety sensitive environment that can put the public at risk such as a commuter ferry, due to personnel having inadequate sleep between split shifts?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Louisiana - Civil Service Employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just several verbal complaints and two accidents

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much is the fee, as my co-workers would like to know?

3/12/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Louisiana or federal law, nor transportation and safety administration regulations prohibit split shifts. Employment in LA under civil service follows civil service regulations. There is also nothing in the LA Civil Service Regulations that state they cannot make employees work split shifts.

The NTSB also does not have any regulation or recommendation regarding these split shifts for ferry workers.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.