Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a female employee working in male dominant environment…

I am a female...

I am a female employee working in male dominant environment and dealing with “hostile” environment. The behaviors of a certain male employee are disturbing. Owner of the business has been told - no immediate action has taken place - afraid to return to work

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Reported to the Owner of the business

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I feel the environment is unsafe for me (co-workers are not professional, underlying sexual remarks and behaviors, co-worker has gun in his desk drawer, afraid to return to work)

3/12/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your post. Can you please tell me what your legal question is? Also, about how many employees does your employer have and do they have an HR Department?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My legal question: I feel my work environment and is “hostile” as 2 of my co-workers have been non-disciplined for sexual remarks/behaviors and carrying a gun to work. Our company consists of approximately 20 employees, and there is no HR Department and NO Employee Handbook.

Alright, well you still didn't ask a legal question. You made a statement about your workplace but I can only assume what it is you want to know. In the interest of my time and yours, I will have to assume that you would like to know what your legal options are.

First, there is no requirement that an employer have an employee handbook, so that is not really a factor in this issue. It wouldn't be with a sexual harassment or sex discrimination issue anyway, other than as a direction to employees what steps they can take in these cases. The Company you work for though is so small that a handbook wouldn't be needed.

In any event, if you have exhausted your remedies with your employer, in so far as the gender discrimination/harassment issue goes, you can then file a complaint with the Nevada Equal Rights Commission and allow them to try to resolve the issue. You can find out how to file your complaint by going to the following link: http://detr.state.nv.us/Nerc_pages/NERC_docs/Facts_About_Sex_Discrimination.pdf

You might also want to sit down with a local employment law attorney who might contact your employer on your behalf and try to resolve the issue. However, the Attorney will charge a fee, as opposed to the state would will assist you for free.

As far as the firearm goes, there isn't a law that would prohibit a gun in most workplaces unless the person who has it is not properly licensed to carry it. If they aren't, you should report that to your local law enforcement agency.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately, the gun carrier employee says he is a licensed carrier and the Owner told him he could put the gun in his desk - I have plead my safety concern to the Owner and to a Manager. The sexual harassment consists of being called a “bitch” in front of co-workers from a man that didn’t get immediate request met. This is the same co-worker who dropped his pants and exploded his behind to a warehouse co-worker thinking he is funny. He also made an under-lying sexual remark to me that was over the top unprofessional and when I reported it to the Owner, there wasn’t any reprercussion. Each and every day I go to work I am terrified of both employees and I go to work because I need income. I am trying to find another job . . But so far, no luck.

Sounds like an awful workplace. You should consider filing your complaint with the State. The employer needs to know that this workplace is not complying with the law.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lastly, I do not know how to locate an attorney to help me here in Nevada. I went online to locate one thinking that this site was connecting me to a local attorney. In moving forward, I would like to have local referral. Most of these lawyers represent the businesses, not the employee. Please advise if you can. Thank you

We aren't allowed to give referrals, however, I would say that you if do decide to go to an attorney (you must first file a complaint with the State though as described in the link I provided if you want to preserve your claim for a law suit), then you should contact the Nevada Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. You will just need to tell them that you are looking for an employment law firm that represents employees. There are many.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your suggestion and help in this matter.

You're very welcome.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer