Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just qurious what determines if we are independent

contractorss. he gets the jobs...
just qurious what determines if we are independent contractorss. he gets the jobs and pays us with personal checks, but he is the boss tells us where to got what to do when to take lunch. we use his tools his company vehicle and and he pays our hotels. is that w2?
also he hires some illegals, so if i bring this to light will i be getting co workers in troubles
3/12/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

In general, an employee is a person who is subject to the control of the employer as to the manner and method by which work is performed. Typically, if a person engages in work which is also a core activity of the person who contracts for the work, and no government license is required for the worker to perform that work, then that worker is an employee. Examples:

1. A person who does janitorial service for a software development company is likely an independent contractor.

2. A person who does accounting for a software development company may be either an independent contractor or an employee, depending on whether the person is licensed by the government (e.g., Certified Public Accountant: CPA), and the person holds out to the public as available for accounting services.

3. A person who is a software engineer who performs that work for a software development company is near certain to be an employee.

Concerning the employer hiring undocumented aliens, the workers could lose their jobs -- the employer could be prosecuted by the federal government for a criminal offense.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
I do have one other question. Besides reporting this employer to work force development. Is there any civil laws that would allow suing for unemployment that was never paid in winter, and overtime that should have been paid?