Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have several co workers and they submitted doctors note…

Customer Question
Hello! I have several...

Hello! I have several co workers and they submitted doctors note that they cannot stand on there feet for no more than 8 hours. Can my boss violate them and make them stand for 12 hours?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida, and the prior manager accepted them. this kid is a bully

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet I will report on thier behalf today

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation with your co-workers. The answer to your question is no, the employer can't do that. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, employers are required to provide their employees with reasonable accommodations. According to the U.S. government:

“A reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by employees without disabilities.”

In this case, if they can't stand for more than 8 hours and they're being forced to stand for 12, then this is probably discrimination.

If an employee feels as if they have been discriminated against, then they can file a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one.

How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer