Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was caught stealing optical glasses at work, I want to do…

Customer Question
I was caught stealing...

I was caught stealing optical glasses at work, I want to do the right thing and pay for them. However, Im scared about going to jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont think so, they told me they are speaking to a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want to know what I should do? I have some of the frames I took and I was thinking about giving them back

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/12/2018
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

so to be clear the employer confronted the employee for theft? Did the employer propose a solution or indicate they were going to press charges? Is this a first offense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First offense, she said if I brought back the frames then she would let me go.

Thank you;

Here is the statute dealing with theft:

https://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/812.014

Basically if the property is valued at below $100 it is petit theft in the second degree; if between $100-300 it is petit theft in the first degree;

if valued higher then it is a 3rd degree felony.

Penalties here

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/775.082

(for example for petit theft no more than 1 year imprison; for petit theft in the second degree, no more than 60 days.

It is best to hire an attorney in case the employer does press charges and the prosecutor pursues the case (some local agencies have a policy to not pursue minor theft if restitution is made, so the agency may focus on more serious crimes).

If charges are pursued and it is a first offense an attorney may get the charges reduced and may even get them dismissed.

It is best to hire an attorney to draft a release-basically stating any merchandise will be returned if employer agrees to not press charges.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer