Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I posted a montana law poster about break times and now feel…

I posted a montana...

I posted a montana law poster about break times and now feel like boss is going to fire me for stating that what they are doing is violating montana law

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Montana is not an "at will" state according to MT dept of labor and industry

3/12/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Yes, it is an "at will" state, however, even in "at will" states there are ways for the an employer to break the law in terminating someone.

Termination in retaliation for making complaints about the employer's violation of the state break laws would be illegal, based on the complaints being a protected activity under your state laws. If they did terminate you, you could contact the MT Department of Labor to allege retaliation or even just go straight to a local employment law attorney to file suit.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

thank you very much, that is the answer that I was expecting and wanting to hear. I did nothing wrong and was posting a state law poster from the MT DL&I website to inform them of the violation.

No worries. Take care and good luck going forward.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer