Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for IHSS homecare. myself and another lady were

Customer Question
Good morning, my name...

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** work for IHSS homecare. myself and another lady were assigned to a lady for 10 hour shifts each day as she requires 24/7 care. 2 of my check were not paid. i was told that the insurance did not cover the hours. The company said some of the hours were covered. I have been told they are working on it, they said i can work 2 hours a day, the other lady was her first homecare and she's paid her 10 hours. i feel I performed the duties in good faith, and i should receive the pay that i submitted, all my time sheets are approved and singed by the lady i care for and submitted to IHSS. I have copies of my time sheets. do i have any course of action? thank you for your help in the matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sacramento, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

N

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No union, im paid $15 an hour and i pay my own taxes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, California law requires that an employer pay an employee for all hours worked. In your case, if your employer is having issues with the insurance making the payments, then the employer must still pay you for that time and its issues with the insurer are going to need to be handled separately by them. The employer can agree to reduce how many hours you work going forward since they are your employer; however, for any past hours worked, you are to be paid. You may need to consider a wage complaint with the Dept. of Industrial Relations. They handle these kinds of disputes and will at least help set up an informal mediation between you and the employer.

Depending on how comfortable you fee, you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to the employer. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer