Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Recently moved to Houston from New York where I had a kob. I…

Recently moved to Houston from...
Recently moved to Houston from New York where I had a kob. I moved for a job which was offered to me after extensive interviews with over 15 staff members.
My offer letter stated i would be resporting to the CPO but when i started work i was informef that i woukd report to the person i was to replace who was planning on retiring, while they replaced tge CPO who was promoted. after 7 weeks of work i was fired.
The reason that was given for firing me was that my leadership style didnt matched a culture of the agency they offered me a separation agreement would be 4 weeks of salary.
I had met with the HR VP to express concern aboit the transition process as the person i was reporting didnt seem ready or willing to leave. I shared with HR VP that i have even created a transition plan which when i presented to supervisor she said things didnt work like that there and stated that she was very upset for my atrempt to set up a timeline.
I also requested a neeting with the temporary CPO which originally i was supposed to report to. During this meeting i asked her for clarification in the expectations for my role and timeline for transition and she just stated i had the luxury of time"
A week after theese two meetings i was fired.
Reason leadership style and profile(big budget) of the program i was hired to direct.
Offer letter also states at will employment.Do i have any grounds for negligence as they hired me knowing i was leaving a very good job in NY and they didn't do their due diligence when recruiting me and selecting me?
Besides losing my job in New York I had moving expenses for over $4000 I will have to find another job here in Houston.
Should I accept their offer for 4 weeks pay contained in the separation agreement or am I entitled to more because over their negligence.
Will i have a case?
3/10/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
To have a claim you have to show discrimination. I would accept or negotiate for additional severance.To escalate, A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only`via`discrimination`correct?``what`would`the`basis`be?cultural?
I`will`have`to`prove`that,correct?
The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.
You bare burden of proof. Often such claims settle. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
acceptable
Great. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer