Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a cleaning company that does not pay for drive…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a cleaning company that does not pay for drive time, is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fill time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’ve been working for 2 years without being paid for s

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/10/2018
Employment Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. In terms of travel time pay, you generally are not entitled to pay for time traveled from home to work and from work to home, but once you get to your first job site you should be paid for travel time between jobs. The amount paid is something that can be set by your employer, as long as your overall pay remains above minimum wage (both state and federal) for the total hours worked. So, if you are paid by the job then that amount plus the amount you would be paid for travel between jobs, divided by the number of hours you worked that day must equal at least minimum wage. Because the employer pays you for this travel time, the employer can dictate what route you take from one job to the next and can also prohibit any personal stops along the way. If you believe you are owed backpay for travel time not paid during this two years, you can approach your employer about it and try to negotiate for payment to be made, or you can enlist the help of the Montana Department of Labor and Industry. I hope this is helpful.

If you need further help, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action has been proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought I was getting legal advice, you represent yourselves as lawyers

I am an attorney. Is there a part of your question that was not answered? If so, I am happy to address it.

I apologize, I accidentally got disconnected from your question. I did want to follow-up to see if there were questions you had that remained unanswered?

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer