Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband is receiving full SSA benefits. I will reach full…

My husband is receiving...

My husband is receiving full SSA benefits. I will reach full retirement age next month and intend to continue working full time for another year. May I claim my husband's SSA benefits (1/2) while still working full time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My husband filed when he turned 70 and is currently collecting benefits. I have not filed.,

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

No unfortunately the Social security folks did away with this.Unless husband deceases once you file you are stuck with that amount.So yes you can file off of husbands social security but you cannot switch here.You can take he higher of the two benefits.

You can file on your here next month and draw yours eveni f working as long as you have hit the retirement age.You have to decide fi you want to get it started or let it grow in a year when you stop working.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated,

If it makes you feel better I got caught in this crack with my wife.In the old days there was file and suspend.Now when you file you are stuck with it.

Ray, Employment lawyer
Thank you. It had been a couple years since I last attended a seminar, and was told I could file and suspend. Too bad I can't do that anymore.

Yes it makes me cry every time, we literally missed this by one year.It was not a good change as far as I am concerned.