Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a personal American Express card with my name and my…

I have a personal...

I have a personal American Express card with my name and my ss# ***** used for the credit check. I use it for the company I work for . The company pays the bills. I was told by American Express that the rewards earned are mine to use personally & my employer cannot force me to use them for the company. The practice consultant has told the owners that I'm using the points for personal use and she she "That's not ok". I'm feeling like a criminal. Please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Just checking to see if I'm still connected.
3/10/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Ok, thanks

The card belongs to you, you are liable for it, the points/miles are yours.Even if employer reimburses you its your card.If employer wanted the points/miles they should open their own for your use as authorized user.I see nothing wrong with you using the points/miles/legally its your card.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day!

You too and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

Ray, Employment lawyer
I just noticed you said reimburse. The check was written to American Express. Does that make a difference?

No it does not.

Thank you!