Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a local government agency. I've been employed…

Hi, I work for a...
Hi, I work for a local government agency. I've been employed since March, 2014 (part time until Oct 2017) My wife is pregnant and due in June of this year. I contacted human resources but was told I have to work at least one year full time before I can use FMLA. However, my understanding of the law is that I only need 1250 hours worked and 12 months of employment, which I have. Am I ineligible?
3/10/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
you would qualify based on your tenure. You meet the threshold.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Ok, since I was told by my HR that I do not, should I contact a lawyer or contact the Department of labor of they continue to deny my fmla?
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Lawyer
ok, thanks for the help. I appreciate it